05 November 2012

Pasteurized alternatives

My friend recently posed a question that I'd like to share here:

Hi darlin',

I am going to a baby shower this weekend and wanted to make this bread pudding
(I made it a few years ago and it is so good!). But- my very quick research on google tells me that Comte and Emmenthaler cheeses are unpasteurized. Now, while I don't think something bad will happen if my pregnant friend has a bit of unpasteurized cheese, I'd rather not make something she won't eat or force her to eat something she doesn't want! My question to you, my favorite cheese mongeress: Is there a pasteurized substitute for this type of cheese? (or will I find if I head to Whole Foods or somewhere with good cheese that pasteurized versions of these cheeses exist?) I suppose I could omit the cheese, too, but that's no fun, either!

xx
Jamie 

~~~~~~~~

Hi Jamie,

Thank you for your question!  I've been thinking about this common dilemma.  When you're looking to substitute one cheese for another, it's always a safe bet to stick to the region or style of cheese that you want to mimic.  Comté and Emmenthal are alpine cheeses made in France and Switzerland respectively.  While you're not ever going to get these cheeses in a pasteurized option due to the Appellation d'Origine Contrôlée (a cheese recipe protection), you may be able to find pasteurized alpine-style cheeses.  A Jarlsberg, found in most grocery stores, could take the place of Emmenthal, while Pleasant Ridge Reserve made by Uplands Cheese Company in Wisconsin could substitute the Comté.

Meanwhile, since we are in Massachusetts, I would recommend you look closer to home for your Swiss substitutes.  Robinson Farm in Hardwick (http://www.robinsonfarm.org/cheese.html) has a selection of alpine-style cheeses and I think you can't go wrong if you try their Prescott, Robinson Family Swiss, or Barndance.  Ray Robinson has managed to get his cheeses in many stores now, including Russo's in Watertown and a number of shops in Cambridge.  But if all else fails, I'd recommend going to a cheese shop with a good selection and asking the mongers behind the counter what they have that's pasteurized and alpine style.  They will find you a solution.  And always remember to ask for a taste to see if you like it!

I hope this helps,
Marie-Laure

~~~~~~~~

thank you! Feel free to put this on your blog, too! :)

Jamie

No comments: