14 March 2012

Maple Sugaring Season

Makeshift cheese dryer...
While I haven't written here in a while, I haven't forgotten you.  In fact, I wrote a letter to my hosts in Europe expressing my thanks and describing my summary of experiences since I had seen them last.  Meanwhile, I have been busy visiting properties, making cheese in the kitchen, meeting with cheesemakers and sleuthing around for milk and a cheeseplant.

A few days ago my mom and I drove all around Massachusetts meeting realtors and seeing farm property possibilities.  We were on a tight schedule with 10 visits planned, a Subway lunch and music for driving.  Our choices?  Enya, Sarah Brightman, and Stevie Ray Vaughan.  We rocked it and made it through the day on schedule.  This week I also went into Boston to meet with a newly formed group of Smith Entrepreneurs.  We met with lawyers to discuss and learn about the different business entities that exist and the tax implications for each.

Currently, I am groaning about having to research the best places to purchase my cultures and moulds for cheesemaking, but since I only have yogurt to acidify the milk and I'm obviously not satisfied, I've promised myself to place the order by the end of this week!!

I'll leave you with a few photos of my recent Maple Sugaring escapade at Habitat Sanctuary in Belmont.  While getting this business up and running is extremely exciting to me, it doesn't exactly make for fabulously colorful writing.  But the following photos might make up for it.


Sap can drip from a tree and fill a bucket in half a day!


No comments: